Wednesday 7 September 2011

The merits of doing nothing


Ok, ok. So I’m writing another blog within two days of the last one. But I did go to Rome last week so you were deprived of one of my pearls in all fairness.

It was lovely by the way. Thanks for asking…

It gave me a wonderful opportunity to do absolutely nothing. Which was awesome. Seriously awesome. I think some stupid people confuse doing nothing with boredom.

They’re not the same.

Boredom is imposed upon you by forces beyond your control. Boredom is not a choice that you can opt-out of. Boredom is why I write these blogs.

On the other hand, doing nothing can be magnificent. It’s a decision, not an imposition. Think of the endless possibilities that doing nothing enables. Think of the bountiful array of cat videos on Youtube waiting to be watched (they’re my new thing). The freedom to catch up on whatever crap programmes you’ve missed over the week while you’ve been forced to do ‘something’. The infinite opportunities to talk absolute shit without consequence. It’s beautiful. I love talking shit so much.

On Sunday, I watched 6 hours of 30 Rock. That was it. Nothing else happened and it was great. I laughed. I cried. I didn’t have to speak to anyone annoying. I worked out that by the time it gets to 7pm it’s just like a normal weekday – that was a mistake. But overall I loved it. I’m not the kind of person who feels the need to jam-pack my weekend with activities. I don’t travel across the country to catch up with old friends and I make a point of not going to London unless it's absolutely essential.

I sit.

Doing nothing is so underrated.


………….bored now.

No comments:

Post a Comment