Tuesday 27 September 2011

It’s Fate.


Tomorrow, I will take delivery of a Macbook. It’s a second hand black one. Remember the one I mean? It’s awesome. It is about 5 years old so it’s hardly cutting edge, but I don’t mind – for finally I will achieve closure on one of the most harrowing experiences of my life.

Some of you might remember that I used to have the exact same Macbook. I spent almost my entire overdraft on it right at the start of uni and it was fantastic. People laughed at me for spending with such reckless abandon but I didn’t care, for I had a thing of beauty – while they had a thing of poo.

I cherished it and cleaned it meticulously – right up until the day I accidentally smashed it to pieces.

It was Christmas 2009 and I was back home from uni. I had just started my dissertation and was doing the standard procrastinating. Whenever I had a deadline or exam it would always seem like a really good idea to move all the furniture around in my room. It would take a really long time (which was good) and be vaguely satisfying – even if it actually looked better before. And this day was no different.

I decided to move my bed first of all. I started to heave the mattress off the frame (not particularly gracefully) and then it happened. I still remember the crunch. I had managed to knock my TV – which was on a bracket – off the bracket and directly onto my open laptop on the desk below. I couldn’t see exactly what had happened because the stupid fucking mattress was in the way, but I knew. As I pushed the mattress away a feeling of sheer dread hit me. Had I seriously just done that? Why the fuck did I think it was a good idea to move my bed? 

WHY ISN'T THERE ANYONE ELSE WHO I CAN BLAME?!

The Macbook was in bits. The TV had landed directly on the hard-drive so I lost everything. My music. My photos. And a couple of thousand words of my dissertation. I guess it was a bit retarded that I didn’t have an external hard-drive but I just didn’t think about it. And now it was too late. I didn’t cry, but it was touch and go.

I attempted to get it fixed at an approved Mac shop but it started getting too expensive and I gave up. But I couldn’t bring myself to throw it away. It was completely useless but I was too attached.

HOWEVER.

Now, fate has reunited us. A friend from work advertised on Facebook that he was selling his old, black Macbook. However, the battery could do with being replaced and it needs a new charger cable. This is why it must be fate for the only two things that survived my destruction were the battery and the charger cable!

So very soon I will have my new (old) Macbook up and running and I will be a happy man.

Time to shift some furniture perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment