Friday 3 February 2012

Innurendo


I’m having a crisis (teehee).

I’m not sure I’m funny anymore.

Those of you who’ve had the pleasure of my company will know that my sense of humour tends to rely on smut and innuendo, with a dollop of vulgarity on the side. I think all these things are hilarious but my fear is that slowly but surely no one else will.

The problem is that as our society * rolls eyes * becomes ever more desensitised to foul language, crude subject matter and innuendo, my comedic breadth narrows.

Innuendo – the most sophisticated form of humour I possess – particularly suffers as a result. It’s only funny when some people are in on the joke but others aren’t. However, if everyone's in on it, it’s all over. The attempt at inducing a snigger has failed. The best you can hope for is a pity laugh, but no one likes those.

What makes it worse is that I’ve found that not only am I failing to provoke laughter, I’m inadvertently making people, who aren’t generally funny, seem funnier. As you can imagine, this irritates me somewhat.

I’ll make a hilarious comment like…….. "That’s what she said" (a classic) which will then get immediately shot down with something like "Yes, my gran loves it rough."

Where do I go from there?

That comment receives 10 times the laughter of mine and I'm powerless. All I can do is retreat to my unfunny hole and plot the gruesome murder of the bastard who upstaged me.

Essentially, I think my problem boils down to the fact that I’m not living in a Carry On film. If I was, I would easily be the funniest person on the planet. Fuck Barbara Windsor.

Oh well, at least I can rely on trusty old sarcasm.

You what?

Pshhh yeh "whatever".

No comments:

Post a Comment